Are you able to make yourself do things you’d rather put off doing? If you can, you have discipline. It’s easy to procrastinate. It’s harder to bite the bullet and do the things you’d rather avoid.
Just this morning I would have loved to read a book or spend time gardening or scanning photos for a creative project, but instead I went to work on a slide show for an upcoming speech I’ll be giving to teachers. How did I do that? Here’s what works for me:
- I committed to my mastermind group to get the slide show done by this coming Tuesday.
- I took yesterday off to do just what I wanted to do so I’d be rested and ready to work today.
- Yesterday I mentally reviewed my priorities for today, putting the slide show at the top of the list.
- Today I treated myself to an episode of All Creatures Great and Small, a favorite series of mine, with breakfast to meet my need for fun. I would not have done that if I was the kind of person who has difficulty disengaging from the TV.
- I ignored other tasks on my desk and my email and went straight to work on my slide show.
As you can see, getting myself to do the most difficult task on my to-do list was not accomplished by one simple step. I really had to set myself up mentally and emotionally, and I had to deliberately ignore tempting distractions. Today I succeeded! I too succumb to email and the lure of other less important things. But, today I succeeded! I think what nudged me into compliance was the commitment I made to my mastermind group.
What do you really need to get done? I hope I’ve given you some ideas about how you too can set yourself up for success!
© 2012 Clutter Clearing Community | Debbie Bowie
“Author, Organizing Expert and Feng Shui Practitioner Debbie Bowie, is a leading authority on clutter clearing to attract more of what you want in your life. If you’re ready to finally clear the clutter from your life and move your life forward, get your FREE TIP SHEET, “Feng Shui Tips for Instant Success” at http://www.clutterclearingcommunity.com.