Closet Factory, California Closets, Closet Tailors — should you pay the big bucks for a closet designed to your needs? Is it worth the cost? Is it worth the effort it will take to empty the closet and put everything back?
I’ve worked with a number of clients who bit the bullet and hired a company to do a custom design and install of their personal closet or the closets of their children. Without exception, the custom closet arrangement was far superior to what had existed before.
Following are some of the benefits my clients experienced.
- There was more usable storage space.
- There was more structure within the “black hole” of the closet, so fewer items tended to float without a home.
- The process of emptying and refilling their closet provided two clearing opportunities, when the clothes, shoes, etc. came out and when they went back in.
- The energy of the new closet felt really good and seemed to urge clients to respect the space by keeping it neat and organized.
- Custom closets are considered to be an asset when you sell your home.
That being said, if you do decide to invest in custom closets, I do have a few suggestions:
- Make sure you use a company with a good reputation. Not all companies produce and stand behind their products. Ask for references for any company you are considering or go with a company recommended by discerning friends.
- Make sure you have a good designer. Designers are not equally skilled. I learned that lesson when I had the opportunity to review the plans of two different designers from two different companies for a client. The difference in the quality of the two designs was startling.
- For your personal closet, work with a same sex designer because they’re likely to have a better grasp of the complexities of your storage needs.
- Make sure the company has some kind of guarantee for satisfaction. It is quite common to think that a design is perfect until you begin putting clothing back into it. It’s not uncommon to need to make adjustments to the original design.
So, should you get custom designed closets? When your budget allows, I highly recommend it. If you can only do one closet at a time, start with your personal closet and that of your spouse if you are married or in a committed relationship. Having that closet function work well for you will ground you and reduce your stress.