As we near the end of 2017, your thoughts may be drifting to what’s possible in the new year. It’s a fresh start, a time when can decide what you want in 2018. People make New Year’s resolutions about eating right, losing weight, exercising, etc. And, once the enthusiasm of the first days and weeks of doing things differently has passed, they return to familiar behaviors and lose sight of their resolutions. Is this you? Do you want to have a different experience this year?
What would be possible if you committed to clearing clutter from every part of your home in 2018, and kept that commitment? Based on my 20 years of working a professional organizer helping people clear clutter, I predict that many of the following would occur:
- You will feel lighter. Clutter has a heavy energy. You feel the weight physically and psychologically in the form of stress even if you are not conscious of it.
- You will feel more optimistic. Once the weight of clutter has lifted, your spirits will lift accordingly.
- You will be able to think more clearly because you won’t be distracted by the noisy, negative energies of clutter.
- It will be easier to make decisions because you can think clearly and better weigh your options.
- It will be easier to see your reality. What is working and not working in your life? This could lead to clarity that it is time for change — a new job, working on or leaving a difficult relationship, retirement, better self-care.
- You will be more productive because you can think clearly, make decisions more easily, find what you need when you need it, and take action more easily.
- You will see possibilities for personal growth, relationship growth, and career growth that you couldn’t see before when distracted by the negative energy of clutter.
- Your health will be better. The negative energy of clutter affects your energy and your physical body. People with a lot of clutter seem to attract chronic illnesses like breathing problems (asthma, allergies) and autoimmune diseases (fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, etc).
I could go on. People’s lives change for the better when they clear clutter. Feng shui teaches that things that are no longer loved or used hold negative energies. Those negative energies hold you back. Remove them and life begins moving in a positive direction.
I can hear you thinking, “That’s great, but how do I make it happen? There is so much clutter. I don’t know where to start, how to start, or how to keep going when I do start.” The first step is to make a commitment in writing to yourself about what clutter clearing you intend to do in the new year, and then tell trusted others who can help you keep going by cheering you on, helping out, and reminding you of your commitment.
The second step is to follow a roadmap that will lead you from an overwhelmed mindset to an “I can do this” mindset. My new book, From Cluttered to Clear in Just One Year: Your Room-by-Room Home Makeover, was designed to be just that, a road map to lead your from stuck to clearing clutter and creating good feng shui in every room of your house.
Time and the quantity of your clutter may limit your ability to completely clear every area of your house in 2018, but what if you committed to clear some clutter in every part of your house during the year? Perhaps set a goal of doing some clearing in one or two rooms a month. Because you would be removing negative energies from all parts of your house, the balance of energies in your home would shift from negative to positive. That shift would likely have a direct positive effect on the quality of your life. You’d begin experiencing the benefits listed above. And, you would be making space for new, good things to come to you in the new year.
Be ready to have a very different experience in 2018. Order your roadmap, From Cluttered to Clear in Just One Year, today. It will provide you with step-by-step instructions for clearing clutter and creating good feng shui in every room as well as information about how to address common barriers to clutter clearing and find appropriate support if needed. Then, look for the good that will come your way in 2018!
Best wishes for Happy Holidays and lots of clutter clearing in 2018!