I can imagine that many of your are thinking, “Love my attic. Are you kidding?” What would it take for you to love your attic? Attics are not places that we think about loving. They are storage spaces, not areas where you hang out. But, imagine going into your attic without a sense of dread. Imagine actually looking forward to entering your attic. What would that attic look like? How would it feel?
Here are some of my ideas for having an attic that you love:
- It has been cleared of all things that you no longer love or use and gets cleared at least once a year.
- It is well organized so you can find things easily.
- It has space to move around–not packed to the gills!
- The floors have been swept or vacuumed to remove dust and grime.
- The things you use most often are conveniently located for easy access.
- Everything in the space is in good condition and in good working order.
- Everything in the space has a purpose.
- It has good lighting.
An attic like the one I’ve described would certainly not feel like the burden that most attics seem to be. It would still be a storage area, not a place to spend time, but I’ll bet you’d be less likely to procrastinate going there. Perhaps that’s as close to loving your attic as you can get.
Fall is a great time to clear clutter out of your attic! Feng shui teaches that the attic is the area that holds energies of your hopes and aspirations. Make an investment in attaining your hopes and aspirations by decluttering your attic!